Venice Airport Ferries (Alilaguna)
Travel comfortably without queues, buy tickets online beforehand:
This article is about the airport ferries.
- The airport bus is covered
in this article.
Overview Public Ferry Shuttle Airport Venice
The airport of Venice is almost directly on the sea. The old town of Venice is an island in the sea. Therefore, there are logically passenger ships from the airport to the old town in Venice. The ferries from the airport also go to some other islands around the Old Town Island.
You should book the tickets for the airport
ferries in Venice in advance on the Internet. Often the
queues at the counters are long and the boats are full.
You walk from the airport a few hundred
meters to the port of the airport. However, this can be
done very quickly because there are modern treadmills. You
walk in a new building. Already in the airport there is a
counter of the airport ferry company Alilaguna, at the
port there is another counter. But you should already use
the counter in the airport because of the longer opening
hours (7:45 to midnight). Here you show the booked
internet ticket (on paper or simply on your smartphone).
The 3 lines (destinations) of the airport ferries Venice
At the Venice airport port there are 3 lines from Alilaguna. The ticket purchased on the Internet is valid for all 3 lines, for all following destinations. The company that operates the airport ships is called Alilaguna.
Orange line: Airport - Fondamenta Nuove - Madonna dell Orto - Guglie - San Stae - Rialto - Sant'Angelo - Ca' Rezzonico - Santa Maria del Giglio - Piazza San Marco and back.
Blue line: Airport - Murano Island (Colonna) - Fondamenta Nove - Hospital - Basins - Lido Island (Santa Maria Elisabetta) - Arsenale - San Zaccaria - Piazza San Marco - Zattere - Giudecca Island (Hilton Hotel) - FStazione Marittima and back.
Red Line: Airport - Murano Island (Museum) - Lido Island (Santa Maria Elisabetta) - Giudecca Island (Citadel) and back. This line operates in season - from about April to November.
Notes on this:
- If you want to get to the main train station Venice Santa Lucia, take the orange line to Guglie (about 200 meters walking distance to the station)
- The island of Murano can be reached by the Blue Line and the Red Line. The Murano Museum Station (Red Line) is in the center of the island, the Blue Line stops 200 to 300 meters further south
- You can also reach the island of Lido by taking the Red and Blue Lines (to the same terminal Santa Maria Elisabetta, from there there are many buses)
- You can reach the island of Giudecca with the Blue and Red Line
- To get to the area around St. Mark's Square, take the Orange and Blue Line
- The Orange Line goes to the interior of the old city of Venice on the Cana Grande
Advantages and disadvantages airport ferry and airport bus Venice
- The buses are cheaper: a bus transfer from the airport to the old town of Venice costs about 8 euros one way, the ferries cost twice that (about 16 euros one way per person). For both options there are also return tickets, which are slightly cheaper than 2 one-way tickets.
- The travel times are similar, of course a trip to Venice by boat has more style and is more interesting. The boat ride from the airport to the hotel is a great start for a trip to Venice.Wichtig ist vor allem das Fahrziel (Lage des Hotels...):
If you want to go to a hotel on the mainland, in Mestre or Marghera, you should take the bus to Mestre,
Otherwise, the bus only goes to the bus station at the entrance to the old town after the long bridge at Piazzale Roma. If you can walk from there to the hotel, the airport shuttle bus is ok. If you want to go somewhere else in the old town, you have to take a public ferry (vaporetto, water bus), this costs again 7,50 Euro or more, so you pay as much together as with the direct Alilaguna ferry. The Alilaguna ferries discussed in this article stop at many places in the old town.
Other alternative cab ships from Venice Airport
There are also cab boats that take
passengers from the airport directly to the hotel in
Venice. But these are quite expensive. However, if there
are several people, this is an interesting alternative.
>>> On this link you can pre-order your own water Taxi
(from the airport to the hotel).